Ontario income tax calculator

This is income tax calculator for Ontario province residents for year 2016-2012. Current tax rates in Ontario and federal tax rates are listed below and check.

IMPORTANT: This tax calculator is used for income tax estimation. Please use Intuit TurboTax if you want to fill your tax return and get tax rebate for previous year. It is free for simple tax returns or gives you 10% discount for more complicated tax returns.

All numbers are rounded off to the nearest integer.

Here is list of free netfile software to file your tax return.

Ontario tax brackets and rates 2016

In 2016 tax brackets and Ontario personal basic amount were increased by 1.5%.

Basic personal amount for 2016 is $10,011.

Taxable income Rate
from $0 to $41,536 5.05%
from $41,537 to $83,075 9.15%
from $83,076 to $150,000 11.16%
from $150,001 to $220,000 12.16%
over $220,000 13.16%

Ontario surtax rates 2016

Ontario surtax brackets also were increased by 1.5% in 2016

Payable tax Rate
greater than $4,418 up to $5,654 20%
over $5,654 56% (20% + 36%)

The 36% surtax is in addition to the 20% surtax, for a total surtax of 56%.

Federal income tax rates in Canada for 2016

In 2016 Canadian federal income tax brackets and base amount were increased by ~1.3%.

Federal personal base amount is $11,474.

Taxable income Rate
0 – $45282 15.00%
$45283 – $90563 $5071.20 + 22.00% for income over $45282
$90564 – $140388 $15033.02 + 26.00% for income over $90563
$140389 – $200000 $27987.52 + 29.00% for income over $140388
over $200001 $45275.00 + 33.00% for income over $200001

Historical Ontario tax brackets are listed here and historical federal tax brackets and rates can be found here.

15 thoughts on “Ontario income tax calculator

  1. I was out of work for the time of 3 months (October, November& December) in year 2015, and January, 2016 as to my family doctor’s examination to my “Shingles& Post Herpetic Neuralgia.” I am back to work with a severe painful condition because my apartment rent is higher than my monthly pension. Am I allowed for some disability tax deduction.

    Your early reply is kindly appreciated

    Yours truly,

    Mamdouh Noshy

  2. Hi
    I am moving to Ontario from the UK next year
    If I plug in the amount I will get paid in the calculator above, is the bottom number what I will actually get over the year or are there other taxes to pay in Canada. I am trying to work out how much I will earn roughly after tax each month

      1. Hi
        Thank you for responding.
        If I am only spending a year in Canada (July 2017-July 2018) then moving back to the UK presumably I wont need to pay pension contributions? but just the 2% employment contributions?

        Many thanks

  3. Is it possible to pull the total tax value into a spreadsheet using an Excel formula? For example from Excel use a URL to the web calculator that includes the taxable income and have the total income tax payable returned to a cell in the spreadsheet?

  4. Hi if I use the above calculator…Will there be any tax refund from the goverment at the end of the year?Thanks…Dan

  5. Hi
    I will leave Canada in July 2017.
    I have worked for 6 months.
    My total income is less than 45000 cad then I will get full refund if I file the return in 2018?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *